Mittwoch, 7. September 2016

Editing and the confusion it causes



homework ritual
Me, supposedly.
I read somewhere that it's rather normal to hate your own work when doing the final editing. Okay, I didn't read that somewhere, I read it everywhere, in each and every single writer's help blog, article, book, forum, ...
I'm confused by this. I got my first novel back with a very nice rejection letter (not sarcasm, those guys were really great), so I decided to do a bit of quality checking and editing before submitting it to the next publisher, seeing as how I got a few good hints why my story didn't fit their profile. My only problem is that I really don't know how to make it any better, except by adding to it where I deleted stuff before. I hope I'm not arrogant, I don't think I am; I'm just really happy with my work as it is. I don't see the need to rework big parts of the story, and the feedback I got also didn't sound like I'd have to. Maybe I simply chose the wrong publisher, maybe I'm delusional, maybe I'm just not that good at writing readable Science Fiction. Maybe romance just doesn't mix with detailed futuristic worlds. Maybe...
So now I'm confused. Dear author buddies, am I the only one who actually is happy with their work? Does nobody else reach that point of 'yeah, baby, this is it!' that I feel when a novel is done? Should I listen to my gut feeling and not do any major editing, or should I get help and trust in others to tell me where I need to work on my novel?
Or should I just submit it to another publisher?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

It's not the end - New Website!

This is the last time I change URLs, I promise :D There are just things I missed on this blog, things I couldn't do but dearly wanted ...